[TxMt] FYI: MarsEdit Supports TextMate

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Mon Nov 8 01:35:29 UTC 2004

On 8. Nov 2004, at 2:06, Chris Messina wrote:

>> There appears to be a TextMate bug regarding character encoding. I
>> use the exact same code for TextMate as for BBEdit and SubEthaEdit --
>> but TextMate turns curly quotes (and so on) into weird characters.
>> [...]

And what encoding would that be? My guess is that it's MacRoman, which
several programs defaults to, but TextMate doesn't, here's what it

  1) check if text is ASCII, no encoding
  2) check if text has BOM, use UTF-8, UTF-16 LE/BE based on BOM
  3) check if text is valid UTF-8, use UTF-8 if so
  4) use frequency counts to decide between CP-1252, MacRoman, and

So I'd suggest that MarsEdit use UTF-8 and place a BOM in the beginning
of the text. This should also work with BBEdit and SubEthaEdit.

Or alternatively, let me know how I can “get” the encoding that
MarsEdit uses ;)

I could update my frequencies to improve #4, but today everything
really ought to be in UTF-8, even w/o the BOM this is easily detectable
unlike the other 8 bit encodings!

I've cc'ed this letter to info at ranchero.com