[TxMt] File differencing

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Dec 16 07:51:20 UTC 2004

On Dec 15, 2004, at 10:54, Chris Jenkins wrote:

> I imagine that this might have been covered before, so forgive me if
> so, but is there any plans to build a file differencing tool into
> TextMate? I'm talking about something akin to the interface that
> BBEdit provides, or Xcode for that matter.

Currently I have no plans of writing such a thing. I think such a tool
could just as easily be written by a third party, and I prefer to focus
my development on the things that cannot.

Xcode uses an external tool (FileMerge) which can be found in
/Developer/Applications/Utilities -- you may be able to make this work
with TextMate.

This said, since people obviously do expect a file merge tool to come
with their editor, I wouldn't mind ease the interoperation with another
tool, and I can also look into writing a GUI wrapper for the diff
command line tool, which unlike FileMerge should be standard on all
installs.

But I think this is more a 1.2 priority than 1.1.