[txmt-dev] Re: Not relaunch TM after a build

Tue Apr 15 01:35:08 UTC 2014

On 15 Apr 2014, at 1:46, Gerd Knops wrote:

> I don't think ARC relies on method naming. Pre-ARC those conventions
> were important and flagged by the analyzer, but ARC works differently.

 From
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/AutomaticReferenceCounting.html#method-families

| A selector is in a certain selector family
| if, ignoring any leading underscores, the
| first component of the selector either
| consists entirely of the name of the method
| family or it begins with that name followed
| by a character other than a lowercase
| letter.

The method families with special semantics are: alloc, copy,
mutableCopy, new, and init.

That said, it is also possible to use annotation to specify a method
family. But by default (no annotation) it’s based on naming
convention.

> BTW I am not sure that a general purpose could offer that close of an
> integration with the compiler as Xcode has with clang.

Right, to know the proper compiler flags to use in a given situation,
TextMate would pretty much have to force a build system on you, either
custom or reverse-engineer Xcode project files, both are bad long-term
strategies, and both are making TextMate a lot less general purpose…

But there are things we could use libclang for (to improve things in
{Objective-}C{++} land), it’s an item on my list, but it’d probably
have limited effect on people who use TextMate over Xcode, and given
that my own desires in this regard are rather limited, there are
probably many other improvements that it would be better to spend
resources on.