[txmt-dev] Re: Not relaunch TM after a build

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Mon Apr 14 18:46:02 UTC 2014

On Apr 14, 2014, at 1:32 PM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

>> I’d also like to point out that a lot of things rely on naming or
>> formatting conventions without people calling it a tooling failure
>> (often the opposite). Take something like ARC, it relies on Cocoa
>> methods starting with ‘init’ or ‘new’ to return retained objects.
>
> I think Objective-C has many flaws. This particular case would probably have been better with some form of annotation or attribute attached to these methods.

I don't think ARC relies on method naming. Pre-ARC those conventions were important and flagged by the analyzer, but ARC works differently.

BTW I am not sure that a general purpose could offer that close of an integration with the compiler as Xcode has with clang. And trust me, I certainly am trying (using TM for ObjcC coding myself). Unfortunately Xcode is missing some (for me) must have features that keep me using TM for now. But I sure do miss that tight integration Xcode has. Of course if AppCode would look and feel a little less Java'ish, now there is a tool that is truly amazing!

Gerd