[SVN] Tagging Bundles

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Wed Feb 21 02:47:33 UTC 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 20. Feb 2007, at 18:02, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
>> [...] second attempt of tagging the languages [...]
>
> So, slightly based on the above, this is the hierarchy that I
> imagine the user will have to navigate through:
>
>     Application:
>
>     Build System:
>
>     File Format:
>         Config
>         Other
>
>     Framework:
>         Web
>         Other
>
>     Language:
>         All
>         Declarative
>         Graphical
>         Query
>         Web
>         Other
>
>     Markup:
>         Data
>         Prose
>
>     Productivity:
>
>     Version Control:
>

> Each thing above is a tag, except for ‘All’ and ‘Other’ (the former
> is only shown when there are more than two sub-categories). So PHP
> will be tagged as Language and Web, where Rails is tagged Framework
> and Web. The user could select to see everything tagged as Web, but
> by default, it will show the 8 root categories, and selecting one,
> will, for some, show sub-categories.
>
> When there are bundles with the root category tag, but none of the
> sub-category tags, TM will automatically put them under ‘Other’.
>
> As this is all tags, overlap is possible. E.g. CSS can be tagged:
> “Language, Declarative, Graphical, Web” and so will show up in 3
> sub-categories of Language (and will also show, if the user selects
> to just show all tagged Web).

I think this is the wrong approach to the UI.
This categorization forces people to look for what they want in a
bundle centric point of view rather than a human point of view.

I'd like to organize the main sections into the main groups of people
who use text editors, instead of grouping things by what they
actually are. I don't care that SQL is a "query" language, I just
want to be able to get to it from web related stuff.
I certainly don't want to see anything like OpenGL when looking for
Rails. They're both frameworks, sure, but I doubt there's a person on
earth that uses both.

I am a Web Developer. Therefore I want web related stuff.
HTML,CSS,Javascript. I also use the Rails framework, so anything ruby
or rails related. I also use Subversion to manage stuff and
occasionally do some shell scripting and applescripting. I also
occasionally mess with some C code.

If it were me, I know i'd just end up looking everywhere to make sure
I didn't miss anything.

I'd like to see a "related bundles" button somewhere. so you can find
things that are related to the thing you've found.
Ideally, for me it should work like this.

Web
	XHTML
		Related:
		XML
	HTML
	CSS
	Javascript
		Related:
		Prototype
		jQuery
		Mochikit
	Flash Actionscript
	Server-Side
		SQL
			Related:
			MySQL
		PHP
		Rails
			Related:
			Rails Extras
			Ruby
			Ruby Experimental
			Prototype & Scriptaculous
			RSpec
		Django
		WebGears
			Related:
			Python
			Mochikit
		ASP
		ASP vb.NET
	Javascript Libraries
		Prototype
		jQuery
		Mochikit
	Extras/Other/Etc…
		Javascript Extras
		Tim's CSS Snippets!
		Blogging
		Markdown
		Textile

Version control
	Subversion
	CVS
	Mercurial
	Whatever

Scripting Languages
	Bash/Shell Scripting
	Applescript
	JavaScript
		Related:
		Web
	Ruby
		Related:
		Rails
	Python
	Perl
	Second-life LSL
	PHP
		Related:
		Web

Compiled Languages
	C++
	Obj-C
		Related:
		CodeCompletion
	Java
	.NET
	C#
	Ocaml
	Second-life LSL
	Whatever

Configuration Files
	Apache
	INI
	plist
		Related:
		XML

This way, everything I care about is organized how I would expect it.
I only have to go to 2 main sections to find everything I personally
care about.

What about other people?
How would a LaTeX person expect to find things?
What about a Mac Application programming guy?

My fear is that with the way you have it people are going to be
confused and go through every single menu to make sure they haven't
missed what they want, or they're going to miss out on something
because they don't know it exists.

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — sixteenColors