tags instead of categories (was Re: [SVN] New info.plist keys for description etc.)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sat Feb 17 22:36:12 UTC 2007

On 17. Feb 2007, at 19:55, Benoit Gagnon wrote:

> My biggest wish for this new bundle management system is the notion of
> versioned bundles. Like ruby gems, bundles should get their own
> releases. The problem is that some of the bundle break far too often,

I don’t think bundles break “far too often”, occasionally we have to
bug-fix new/changed functionality, but the majority of bundle-related
problems stems from people with partial/outdated svn checkouts.

> or their key bindings change all of a sudden with an SVN update. I'd
> like to know what's going to happen when I'm upgrading a bundle. With
> versions and release notes, it would be much easier.

Of course svn log «bundle» will effectively give you the release
notes and tell you what changed. Though updating TextMate (and not
using bundles from svn) will not show you this, mainly though because
it would add far too much noise -- major bundle changes should appear
in the regular TM release notes.

> [...]
> This also means we'd have some dependencies, just like gems. For
> example, Rails bundle v2.0 requires ruby bundle v1.1 + html v2.3, etc.

Though in practice there rarely, if ever, are bundles that require
certain versions of other bundles. The dependencies are on the
Support directory (or files therein) and/or a certain version of
TextMate / support tools (like e.g. tm_dialog).

The lack of dependency tracking is not ideal, but generally we ensure
that TM works out-of-the-box with nothing checked out from svn, or
with everything checked out from svn. Problems arise when only parts
are checked out, and/or some parts are not kept updated.