tags instead of categories (was Re: [SVN] New info.plist keys for description etc.)

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Fri Feb 16 07:24:07 UTC 2007

On Feb 16, 2007, at 2:04 AM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> I totally agree with Allan's reasons for wanting the categories. I
> would suggest having the categories and bundle browser as described
> above, and for each bundle an array of "keywords", instead of
> "tags" (though I guess there's not much of a difference between the
> two). Somewhere in the interface, perhaps in a second "bundle
> browser mode", the user would be able to search for a specific
> keyword, and get a listing of all the bundles that have something
> to do with that keyword.
> But we definitely should have a single category to describe what
> the main thing the bundle does is.
> Haris

Right now, there really isn't a point in having anything more than a
basic category per bundle.
Eventually when there are a thousand bundles, it will be necessary to
be able to easily search.

Everyone who uses a text editor knows what they're using it for.
Unless they don't know that the functionality exists at all.

HTML+CSS+JS are all webdeveloper stuff
XHTML & Various javascript libraries are related, but not assumed to
be part of that.

So maybe we should have a subcategory system.
Where you can sort by category, then you have the WebDevelopment
category and right under that the WebDevelopmentExtras category or

Python, C, Ruby, LaTeX, etc... If you have a clue what it is, then
you'll know you want it.

Blogging, Mail, GTD, GTD2, GTD3, GTD-Jr, GTD'd, etc… are all just toys.

Dunno. Just doesn't need to be very complex yet

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — sixteenColors