tags instead of categories (was Re: [SVN] New info.plist keys for description etc.)

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Fri Feb 16 07:04:12 UTC 2007

On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:54 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 16. Feb 2007, at 05:59, Chris Thomas wrote:
>
> It seems elegant, but maybe it should be in addition to the fixed
> category hierarchy.
>
> The overwhelming reason for wanting the category system is to
> present new users with a simpler view of bundles. I.e. disable all
> but just a handful by default, then give them a browser with the
> above categories (on first launch or so).
>
> The user should feel that he is not overlooking anything, and by
> showing him around six categories (which will likely each need a
> longer description), it should be easy for him to drill down into
> the Markup / Prose, if he just want TextMate for Markdown, or
> ignore the SCM System if he does not work with version control
> system, etc.
>
> With a tagging interface it would either be to show him everything
> and let him filter (which would be too much information at once for
> new users, i.e. >100 bundles) or we could show nothing, and let him
> search, but then new users will miss out on stuff (or at least feel
> this way).
>
> At the same time it seems redundant to have a category system and a
> tagging system, as there is a huge overlap -- maybe do the tagging
> system, but promote some tags to take the role of forming the
> initial hierarchical index?

I totally agree with Allan's reasons for wanting the categories. I
would suggest having the categories and bundle browser as described
above, and for each bundle an array of "keywords", instead of
"tags" (though I guess there's not much of a difference between the
two). Somewhere in the interface, perhaps in a second "bundle browser
mode", the user would be able to search for a specific keyword, and
get a listing of all the bundles that have something to do with that
keyword.

But we definitely should have a single category to describe what the
main thing the bundle does is.

Haris