[SVN] Revision 1259 (markdown)

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 27 01:30:16 UTC 2005

On Jun 26, 2005, at 8:10 PM, hadley wickham wrote:

>> I think we should add:
>>
>> *ital *ic*
>>
>> as a case. The whole thing should be italisized, not just the second
>> part.
>>

> I'm not convinced that this is true -

My only evidence for thinking this should be italisized is the output
of the command "Markdown preview", which in my case is the letters
"ital *ic" in italics.

> But if you surround an * or _ with spaces, it'll be treated as a
> literal asterisk or underscore.
>
> The second * is hardly _surrounded_ by spaces.  I think we should just
> leave this because it's easy enough to get around (surrounded it with
> spaces, or escape the *), and will add even more complexity to an
> already complicated regexp.

I agree.

>> Also we need to add this case:
>>
>> * not *italic*
>>
>> The first star should not be allowed to be followed by a space in the
>> pattern. Not sure how to fix that.
>>

> This works for me - any line starting with * gets matched by the
> markup.list.unnumbered rule.  Maybe you don't have a blank line
> afterwards?

My point has nothing to do with whether the * is in the beginning or
not. The line:

stuff * not italic*

will, at least in the b1.14 version of the language, with your
regular expression instead of the usual one for emphasis, consider
the stuff after the first * has scope markup.italic.markdown, which
of course they shouldn't since the * is "space escaped". Unless I am
missing some other recent changes that take care of this? I haven't
done a bundle checkout recently, just what came with the beta.

> Hadley

Haris