[SVN] New trend in SH

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Mon Jan 17 08:00:45 UTC 2005

Seeing the recent keyword lists by Eric and Chris makes me think that
associating style with keyword(-pattern) alone will accomplish 90% of
what I wanted to do with the CSS-inspired system, and it's rather easy
to do an editor for this.

So me thinks I should do this as first step for probably beta 4, since
I think I can do it in less than a day (yeah, I know I don't have the
best track record for time-estimates ;) ) -- the full system will just
be a superset of keyword-matching, so as of such, the user
contributions with regard to style-sheets and syntaxes should remain
compatible in the future.

The only limitations I see with keyword matching compared to the
current system is associating different styles to the same languages
(e.g. depending on whether or not it is embedded or hosts an embedded
language).

To remedy this I can just let the styles in the syntax files take
precedence, so to obtain the above, one would just leave the styles in
the syntax files.

Another issue is that I think the root element of each file should be
named “language.<something>” or similar, since there needs to be a way
to set the default foreground/background colors. Either this should
just be implicit, or we probably need to also introduce a displayName
key for the menu.

Comments?