[TxMt] Re: TextMate 1.5 ⟷ macOS compatibility

list_email at icloud.com list_email at icloud.com
Tue Mar 3 11:09:05 UTC 2020

> On Feb 28, 2020, at 9:00 PM, FZiegler <fz.2009 at klacto.net> wrote:
>
> Remark: I see <https://macromates.com/download>’s note "For OS X 10.9 and later, TextMate 1.x is not suitable as it relies on system components no longer available”; yet 1.5 is still perfect for me here on Yosemite (10.10.5).
>

>> On Feb 28, 2020, at 10:44 PM, FZiegler <fz.2009 at klacto.net> wrote:
>>
>> What is the newest macOS version that will run (or “support") TextMate 1.5[.11 (1635)]?
>>
>> (Reason to ask: I never bothered to update my customized LaTeX bundle to TextMate 2, shame on me!)

I use TextMate 1.5 on El Capitan, macOS 10.11.6. That is the latest version of the OS that runs on my computer. I keep using TM 1.5 for a couple of reasons and one is that about a year ago I tried switching to TM 2. My modified version of the Ada bundle didn’t work on TM 2 and when I tried to switch back to TM 1.5 I discovered that some stuff that TM 1.5 needs had been clobbered or deleted. I was eventually able to recover but I can’t recall everything that I did.

There was a period around the OS version that you mention where the Apple-supplied version of Ruby was inappropriate and the TM web page gave instructions on how to work around that. I don’t know if you can still find that.

At some point I will have to switch to TM 2 but that probably won’t happen until this Mac breaks and I get a new one that runs TM 2.

TM 1.5 with the Ada bundle currently does not correctly follow the compiler error bug links back to the correct place in the source code window. Instead, it opens a new source code window and scrolls to the correct line there. You can edit your code in the new window but the changes are not reflected in the original window unless you reload the file, a huge PITA.

I know this isn’t terribly helpful to you. This list is not very active but at least you have something to read. :-)

Jerry