[TxMt] Compiling latest git version of TextMate using brew

Greg Dunn gregdunn at indy.net
Wed Jun 3 14:11:48 UTC 2020

Hi,

Because I can't keep my hands off  utilities and am on a constant quest to understand development processes, I attempted to clone the latest git
repository and build TextMate.  It seems that everything goes well until I reach the part where I build the actual executable, and get the following
errors:

[1/1] Generate ‘build.ninja’…
[159/923] Compile xib ‘Frameworks/OakAppKit/resources/English.lproj/CustomizeEncodings.xib’…
FAILED: /Users/Greg/build/TextMate/Frameworks/OakAppKit/resources/English.lproj/CustomizeEncodings.nib
xcrun ibtool --errors --warnings --notices --output-format human-readable-text --minimum-deployment-target 10.12 --compile
/Users/Greg/build/TextMate/Frameworks/OakAppKit/resources/English.lproj/CustomizeEncodings.nib
Frameworks/OakAppKit/resources/English.lproj/CustomizeEncodings.xib
xcrun: error: unable to find utility "ibtool", not a developer tool or in PATH
[161/923] Compile xib ‘'Frameworks/OakAppKit/resources/English.lproj/Pasteboard Selector.xib'’…
FAILED: /Users/Greg/build/TextMate/Frameworks/OakAppKit/resources/English.lproj/Pasteboard Selector.nib
xcrun ibtool --errors --warnings --notices --output-format human-readable-text --minimum-deployment-target 10.12 --compile
'/Users/Greg/build/TextMate/Frameworks/OakAppKit/resources/English.lproj/Pasteboard Selector.nib'
'Frameworks/OakAppKit/resources/English.lproj/Pasteboard Selector.xib'
xcrun: error: unable to find utility "ibtool", not a developer tool or in PATH
[162/923] Compile xcassets ‘Frameworks/OakAppKit/resources/OakAppKit.xcassets’…
FAILED: /Users/Greg/build/TextMate/Frameworks/OakAppKit/resources/Assets.car
xcrun actool --errors --warnings --notices --output-format human-readable-text --platform macosx --minimum-deployment-target 10.12 --compile
"$(dirname /Users/Greg/build/TextMate/Frameworks/OakAppKit/resources/Assets.car)" Frameworks/OakAppKit/resources/OakAppKit.xcassets
xcrun: error: unable to find utility "actool", not a developer tool or in PATH

ibtool and actool exist in /usr/bin and also a link to /usr/local/bin, both of which are in my shell path.  I enter 'which ibtool' from the shell and
it can find the tool.  Is there another path needed for the build which I don't have set?  Generally Homebrew builds compile and run OK on my system...

--
| Greg Dunn                       | this is slowly taking me apart.  |
| gregdunn at indy.net               | grey would be the color if i     |