[TxMt] Re: Compiling latest git version of TextMate using brew

Tue Jul 14 09:34:02 UTC 2020

On 3 Jun 2020, at 21:11, Greg Dunn wrote:

> Because I can't keep my hands off  utilities and am on a constant
> quest to understand development processes, I attempted to clone the
> latest git repository and build TextMate.  It seems that everything
> goes well until I reach the part where I build the actual executable,
> and get the following errors:
> […]
> xcrun: error: unable to find utility "ibtool", not a developer tool or
> in PATH
> […]
> ibtool and actool exist in /usr/bin and also a link to /usr/local/bin,
> both of which are in my shell path.  I enter 'which ibtool' from the
> shell and it can find the tool.  Is there another path needed for the
> build which I don't have set?  Generally Homebrew builds compile and
> run OK on my system...

The build process runs everything via the `xcrun` command.

You can run `xcrun -f ibtool` to find ibtool via `xcrun`, but it will
likely fail, though it may tell you what is wrong.

Perhaps the “selected” Xcode version of yours exist no more, try
run: `xcode-select -p`, that prints path to where the system thinks it
is located.

You may be able to fix that with `xcode-select -s <path>`.

More information in man page for the above mentioned tools.