[TxMt] Re: A few recent crashes

Andrew Hodgkinson ahodgkin at rowing.org.uk
Wed Apr 22 21:22:34 UTC 2020

On 23 Apr 2020, at 3:56, Allan Odgaard wrote:

>> […] in some cases a part of the UI
>>  would prove to have been rendered unresponsive; in any case a
>> force-quit
>>  was always necessary.
>
> I have run into this myself, since upgrading to 10.15, it’s when
> Apple throws up dialogs during startup, it can end in a “nested
> run-loop” state where the outer run-loop gets no events, but is
> blocking the UI (waiting for the user to respond to the dialog.

I just had a very unfortunate experience with 2.0.9. I noted it was
available as a test build in this thread, and thought I'd try it as I've
seen all manner of weird stuff with file content not refreshing etc.
when files on disc change in 2.0.6 and wondered if there were
improvements. I've not reported bugs about this because so far, I can
never replicate anything.

2.0.9 launched and reloaded all my many windows - several temporary text
files (unsaved, I've just relied on application state restore for so
many years now that I don't even think about it) and and about 20
different projects in different windows across multiple desktops (I'm a
very busy developer, heh). As ever, it didn't put anything back in the
correct desktop spaces so I moved all the windows in Mission Control
manually but then noticed one I wanted to close - but couldn't. TextMate
didn't respond.

At this point I realised that while I could move windows and they'd gain
focus, there was no way to interact. Typing and mouse clicks were
totally ignored.

Then it got stranger. Quitting TextMate from the menu worked,
surprisingly, but it immediately self-restarted! I force-quit it, and it
restarted once more. I tried to shut down the computer, but TextMate
cancelled the restart. Even "pkill -9 TextMate", which did seem to kill
it off, didn't let the computer restart and I had to force-reboot.

A tedious Disk Utility check later, with TextMate automatically
relaunched after the reboot and all its windows restored - nope, no
good; can't click in anything. Quit it; restarts itself. I could't
delete it even after "pkill -9" as the Finder insisted that the
application was open and sure enough a moment later it reappeared. So
this time I used "pkill -9 TextMate; sudo rm -rf ..." to forcibly remove
the application before it had a chance to restart.

I then reinstalled 2.0.6 and - no windows. Nothing. Absolutely all my
state, and all my temporary files including project notes, have
disappeared. Wut?! Surely those are all in Library/Application Support,
*not* stored in the application bundle?

Is there any way I can get any of that back? And what on earth is going
on with TextMate 2.0.9's self-restart behaviour - it's practically a
virus at that point, unkillable and crippling machine functions - is
that a known bug, or a misfiring intended feature of some kind, or just
yet another problem in Catalina at work (10.15.4)?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

--
TTFN, Andrew Hodgkinson
Find photos, software, music and more at my home site, Bandcamp and