[TxMt] Re: Issue saving tmp files in Catalina?

Thu Apr 16 02:24:56 UTC 2020

On 16 Nov 2019, at 22:16, Timothy Bates wrote:

> Opened a file from an email attachment
>
> On save from textmate, I get this error:
>
> The document “BadFactorScoresExample.R” could not be saved.

Apple Mail saves attachments in a Mail Downloads folder that appears to
be setup not to be writable (by other applications?).

It’s unclear to me how exactly it is setup, because the classic file
mode flags do allow writing, but try command-click the proxy icon, and
the folders are badged with a minus symbol:

![](cid:3A0A5FA3-E22B-4038-B99C-76D3F538DE1D at textmate.org
"PastedImage.png")

This could be by design, because really, only Mail should control those
folders.

That said, you can disable atomic saving for all but remote volumes by
putting this in `~/.tm_properties`:

	atomicSave = remoteVolumes

This will make it work because TextMate then doesn’t write a new file,
but opens the existing file for (over)writing.

I’m considering making this the default, because with the loss of
`exchangedata` (when we moved to APFS) I think there are now too many
downsides to atomic saving to make it the default :(