[TxMt] Re: Could not bind to socket: /tmp/textmate-501.sock

Wed Apr 15 14:46:55 UTC 2020

On 6 Apr 2020, at 18:15, bagdiafa wrote:

> Every time i start up TextMate (2.0.6.) a message box appears with the
> following error:
>
> Could not bind to socket: /tmp/textmate-501.sock
> Error: Undefined error: 0
>
> After closing the message box, the application works just fine.

The socket that TextMate fails to bind to is used for the `mate` shell
command, therefore it will work fine despite this error, though `mate`
probably won’t be able to open files in TextMate.

Though as to why it fails, that is pretty strange. It’s the first I
hear of failure setting up the socket, and the code to setup the socket
actually tests various conditions, like if it’s because there is
already an old socket, etc. and that it shows “Undefined error”
indicates the OS doesn’t even know why the `bind()` call fails.

I would imagine that some kernel data related to sockets has gotten into
a bad state, and probably the problem can be solved by a reboot (if you
haven’t already found a solution, I realize this reply comes a little
late).