[TxMt] Unable to start TextMate after installing security updates

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Oct 31 12:28:59 UTC 2019

Hello,

After installing the latest security update on macOS 10.13 I no longer
seem to be able to launch TextMate.

When I try to open it, a number of windows get opened in the launchpad
(those that were "hidden"), but before opening all other windows
finishes, the program crashes (crash log is in attachment).

Does anyone have any idea how I could do any of the following:
- find the contents of unsaved snippets
- potentially "purge" the open windows and at least try to see if I
can start TM in a clean fashion.

The only "useful" information I see in the crash log is:

Application Specific Information:
old selected document ‘nil’, new selected document ‘Portfile’

I most definitely had a lot of files called "Portfile" opened when
TextMate still worked, but I don't know where 'nil' comes into play.
The rest looks the same as the garbage I get when mixing libc++ and
libstdc++, but it's probably completely unrelated anyway.

Thank you very much,
    Mojca

PS: A bit of background information, in case it is relevant in any way
(probably not).

I usually had quite some windows open, very often using TextMate as a
"random notes, TODO lists, temporary copy-and-paste snippets  which I
get from somewhere and plan to use later, ...", a bunch of documents I
had opened might no longer exist after the system reboot (I put a lot
of stuff under /tmp/), a lot of them were never saved, but were
automatically reopened every time when I rebooted the system (which
has worked very reliably ever since Lion), ...

Mac has been nagging me to install security updates for quite a while,
and I kept pushing "remind me again tomorrow", until I finally did it,
but ever since I wasn't able to fire up TextMate again, and this is
one of my top programs I use. I'm still on 10.13, I did download both
10.14 and 10.15, but never decided to actually upgrade. Curious
enough, during the last security update the computer suddenly notified
me that it failed to upgrade the OS (gosh, I never asked my mac to do
even do that, but at least I'm happy that it didn't do an automatic
upgrade). I don't know if any of that has anything to do with
TextMate, but I would be grateful for any advice or hint about
proceeding.