[TxMt] Re: HTML Output of Command to Execute Ruby Function

Mon Oct 14 08:18:34 UTC 2019

On 10 Oct 2019, at 20:49, Dru Kepple wrote:

> Let's suppose I have a command written in Ruby, that is outputting to
> HTML
> in a new window.
>
> Is there a way to create a link in the HTML output that, when clicked,
> will
> actually execute a Ruby function that I define in the command?

Not functions from your command, but you can have JavaScript call ruby
scripts, so you would have to create an external script (in the
`Support/` folder of the bundle) and then provide argument when calling
this script, as to what function it should execute.

The documentation is rather sparse:
https://macromates.com/textmate/manual/html-output#javascript-api

Basically you can do `<script>TextMate.system(«command»)</script>` in
your HTML output to call `«command»`.

We have a few examples of this, for example ⌃H in a ruby file on a
word will lookup documentation (`ri`) for that word, and there will be
links in the output which calls `ri` again.

The script for this is here:
https://github.com/textmate/ruby.tmbundle/blob/master/Support/bin/linked_ri.rb