[TxMt] Re: How to open files read-only?

Mon Oct 14 07:15:31 UTC 2019

On 2 Oct 2019, at 16:17, Martin Wilhelm Leidig wrote:

> sometimes I open some text file just for reference or to copy
> something from it.  I’d like to open those read-only to avoid
> erronously introducing changes.  Could not find some easy way up to
> now.  Which bright red button in front of me did I miss?

There is no way to open a file as read-only.

Partly for technical reasons, as we support running commands, and
TextMate can’t be sure that a command won’t make changes to the
file, but not allowing to run commands at all (for r/o files) would
remove things like Git actions, word statistics, diff’ing, etc.

But I’m currently doing some refactoring and will consider how
feasible it is to at least have a read-only mode that disallows the
built-in mutating actions; the problem here is only that such mode is
rarely used so I don’t want hundreds of actions to have special code
to test for read-only mode, hence only if the impact on code can be
minimal would I want to support this.