[TxMt] Ruby: Support various linters / formatters?

Stefan Daschek stefan at daschek.net
Thu May 23 09:15:27 UTC 2019

The Ruby bundle currently supports reformatting a file with RuboCop
(“Reformat Document”), and checking the document’s syntax using `ruby -wc.

So far there is no support for automatically checking (or maybe even
reformatting) a file everytime it is saved.

For RuboCop, there are (at least) four stand-alone RuboCop bundles
providing additional features:

  * https://github.com/fazibear/Rubocop.tmbundle
  * https://github.com/mrdougal/textmate2-rubocop
  * https://github.com/goyox86/rubocop-tmbundle
  * https://github.com/noniq/RuboCop.tmbundle (Disclaimer: This bundle
was written by me).

Recently various alternatives to RuboCop emerged, especially:

  * https://github.com/testdouble/standard (uses RuboCop internally, “No
configuration“)
  * https://github.com/samphippen/rubyfmt (autoformatting only,
optimized for speed)

Both tools are still pre-1.0, but actively developed.

I’d like to add support for both standardrb and rubyfmt to TextMate.
However, I’m not yet sure about the following questions:

  * Should the Ruby bundle be extended to support these? Or should one
or more stand-alone bundles be created?
  * What would be the best way to tell TextMate which (if any) linting /
formatting tool it should use for a given ruby file or project?

Any thoughts?

s.