[TxMt] Re: `mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

Sat Jul 13 08:30:07 UTC 2019

On 12 Jul 2019, at 19:49, Jay Soffian wrote:

> I know I'm bumping an old thread. This behavior happens to me all the
> time
> (a few times a day). I haven't been able to figure it out. I don't use
> fish
> shell, but rather bash. I do use a multi-monitor setup but I think
> I've
> seen it when only using my laptop alone. It probably dates back to
> High
> Sierra. My typical use case is "mate ." in a directory, not a specific
> file. That directory will have a ".tm_properties" file making it a
> project.
> I use iTerm2.

Please go to Preferences → Software Update and ⌥-click the Check
Now.

This should give you TextMate v2.0-rc.28 and mate v2.13.1-beta which
does a bit of logging related to `mate` and TextMate’s “bring to
front” code.

This is also in the release notes:

- - -

First run `mate --version` to ensure that TextMate auto-updated it to
`2.13.1-beta` (if not, go to Preferences → Terminal and
uninstall/install it).

When the problem occurs, immediately run `date` in your terminal to get
a timestamp to correlate with the debug log.

Then run this command to obtain the log:

     log show --predicate 'subsystem = "com.macromates.TextMate" &&
category = "BringToFront"'

See `man log` for options such as `--start date/time` (to limit the
query to e.g. the last 10 minutes).

Follow up in this thread with the log with relevant information, such as
whether or not you were using spaces and/or multiple screens at the
time.