[TxMt] Re: Defining a regular expression looking like a grammar

Sun Oct 21 06:54:50 UTC 2018

On 17 Oct 2018, at 17:36, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> This is exactly according to the specified grammar [3] and it seems to
> be working as expected. Not sure if the optional group workaround
> causes some performance implications.
>
> This technique seems like it could be a viable alternative to
> supporting variables in the TextMate grammar as has been discussed
> before.

Just to be clear, you are talking about variables from the parsed
language and highlighting them later in the scope, right?

So something like: `let foo = 42 in … something_with foo …` and here
the latter instance of `foo` would be marked as a variable?

To be honest, I don’t follow this 100%; it seems highly impractical to
have one big regular expression for the language because then we cannot
save parser state and restart parser on the line that got edited, which
would be a major performance issue.

I am also not sure how this variable thing would work in a typical
language where you can define an arbitrary number of variables on
basically any given line.