[TxMt] Re: File browser: SCM status view no longer working?

Nigel Chapman nigelchap at icloud.com
Mon Nov 12 10:22:15 UTC 2018

> Did it work prior to the file browser update?

It certainly worked in the past. I can’t definitely pin it down to the file browser update, as I only returned to working on this project recently. I originally thought it must have happened when I installed Mojave, but then I found out that the same thing is going on on my other machine which still has High Sierra, so the file browser update seems the likeliest time at which it stopped working.

> Also, where is this project on disk? Are you using mate /path/to/project to open it? Or possibly the file browser’s “Go to Folder…”.

This is on the iCloud drive volume, which I see in the sidebar of the open dialogue. It’s not in a Textmate container. The actual folder is inside

~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/

I usually open this project with the Favourite Projects dialogue, but it’s all the same whether I use that, the File>Open command or mate from inside terminal.

I tried a few extra things, which only confused matters further. If I open any folder on the iCloud drive, the SCM button does not work, it’s a no-op, whether there's a repo or not. If I open any folder that was originally created on the local drive, it works as expected – if there’s a Git repo it shows the uncommitted changes and untracked items, if not, the “no status” thing. But, if I copy one of the folders off the iCloud drive to the local drive, the SCM button doesn’t work. Same whether I copy the whole folder or create a new folder and copy all the files. (This is all done in the Finder, I haven’t tried copying in terminal.) But I can’t see any unexpected hidden files in these folders.

I couldn’t see anything in the system logs that might correspond to something going wrong when I click the button.

If it was just me and my iCloud drive, I’d say that it was an edge case that you needn’t bother about, but these other reports that don’t seem to have anything in common are perhaps a bit concerning.

And thanks for reviving my request about the auto-hiding file browser.

All the best

Nigel