[TxMt] Re: [Feature Request] Auto-hiding file browser

Mon Nov 12 03:33:51 UTC 2018

On 3 Oct 2017, at 0:37, Nigel Chapman wrote:

> In recent versions of various Apple programs, including Safari,
> Preview and iBooks, when you go into full screen mode, the sidebar
> hides itself until you roll over the edge of the screen with the
> cursor. I sometimes use Textmate on a laptop with a relatively small
> screen, and increasingly use it in split-view mode on my iMac, and in
> those cases things get a bit cramped, so it would be nice if the file
> browser in Textmate behaved in the same way.
>
> I had thought that I remembered when the Apple programs started doing
> this that I read about it being trivial to implement […]

The functionality for this is `NSSplitViewController` which has support
for “sidebar behavior” in 10.11.

I do plan to adopt the controller, but ironically I am having some
issues with its sidebar behavior because it requires a blurred
background, and I just found a solution to the file browser color I am
happy with, which does not require a blurred background, plus the
controller’s setup of a blurred background causes rendering issues,
but presumably that is fixable.