[TxMt] Re: `mate <file>` from Terminal is occasionally very slow to open <file> in TextMate

Kevin Reid kpreid at switchb.org
Fri Jul 27 16:42:19 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 6:03 AM Daniel Vollmer <lists at maven.de> wrote:

> when opening (existing) files from Terminal.app using the `mate` command,
> it occasionally (but not always) takes a fairly long time (more than 5secs)
> to open the file in TextMate. TM in all these instances is already running,
> but doesn't necessarily have any open windows.
>
> This is for small files (e.g. 30 short lines of code), so it cannot be the
> file size making a difference. If I open the files directly through TM's
> File -> Open... menu, no such delay happens.
>
> During such a delay, if I click on the already running TM in the dock to
> activate it, the desired document that `mate` is trying to open immediately
> appears.

I also have this problem, consistently. It started about when I upgraded to
High Sierra.

My TM always has already-open windows. I also found that in general,
switching apps (even to apps other than TextMate) sometimes triggers it to
finish.

Initially I thought it might be related to the problem with slow Finder
updates in the presence of sync apps (see e.g.
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/264463/capturing-screenshots-on-macos-sierra-is-very-slow
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/300633/screenshot-taking-a-very-long-time-to-appear-on-desktop
) but I haven't gotten around to testing that theory.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 6:50 AM jason <jgavris at gmail.com> wrote:

> This actually sounds exactly like the problem I was trying to address with
> this PR. I'm glad someone else is experiencing it!
>
> https://github.com/textmate/textmate/pull/1405

For myself, I agree with the comments in that PR that a bring-to-front of
all of TextMate would be undesirable.