[TxMt] Changing the modifier key for multiple caret selection by mouse

Bert zanglebert at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 21:41:07 UTC 2016

Hey

Is there a way to change the default modifier key that enables multiple
caret selection by mouse? Default is 'cmd'.

I already know about changing keybindings in general, e.g. from
https://manual.macromates.com/en/key_bindings.html
or
http://blog.macromates.com/2005/key-bindings-for-switchers/
but neither of them seem to work for what I want to do.

Changing it by OSX Keyboard shortcuts doesn't work either, since it's
not a key combination but modifier & mouse event. So I'm out of ideas.

The reason I'm asking is that with the current key, the multiple caret
selection is a bit 'trigger happy', and I've lost code several times in
the past without even noticing. I type something, move the caret with,
say, cmd-left arrow, select another line by mouse, continue typing. If
I'm not careful/do the above too fast, I sometimes enable multiple
carets, and start overwriting or adding code or text I didn't want to. I
eventually figure it out (usually when I my code suddenly doesn't
compile), but it always takes me a while to figure out what was going on
since I never notice that I had multiple carets active.

Long story short: If somehow possible, I'd like to rebind the 'cmd'
modifier to something like 'cmd+shift', making it less likely I enable
multiple carets by accident.

Any idea if there's a way to do that?