[TxMt] Re: mate CLI gives "Objective-C garbage collection is no longer supported" exception

Tue Oct 18 12:00:10 UTC 2016

On 18 Oct 2016, at 10:17, Gregg Kellogg wrote:

> Since updating to MacOS Sierra, I get this error when trying to open
> files from the shell. For example:
>
> $ mate .
> objc[48814]: Objective-C garbage collection is no longer supported.
> Abort trap: 6

Does `mate --version` also fail? If not, what version does it report?

You should be able to force install of the latest by going to
Preferences → Terminal and uninstall/install `mate`, but `mate` has
never used Objective-C garbage collection, so I am rather puzzled about
this error.

> I’m running TextMate version 2.0-beta.12.4; trying to update says I
> have the latest version of TextMate.

This is the latest “regular release”, you’ll have to switch to
nightly builds for something more recent, but we did not make any
changes in `mate` for 10.12 compatibility (as it should work).