[TxMt] Re: Inserting text into a background document

Mon Oct 10 14:46:35 UTC 2016

On 27 Sep 2016, at 9:18, David Green wrote:

> On Sep. 26, 2016, at 11:48 pm, Allan Odgaard
> <mailinglist at textmate.org> wrote:
>> Is the issue that it locks the entire application? E.g. if running a
>> (slow) command only blocked the document for which we are waiting for
>> results, would that solve the problem?
> That would help, although sometimes I want to be able to continue
> working on the same document.

Can you give an example of what type of commands you’re running? Just
so I better understand the workflow.

> […] The other downside is that TextMate doesn’t update changed
> files when it is not in the foreground. It’s useful to see the
> progress of a command while it runs. Presumably that is a matter of
> performance, to keep TM well-behaved when it’s in the background.

Correct, for example when people do `git rebase …` the document may
see a lot of updates, and we do not want to reload all of them,
especially not if the user has local changes (as we may then get merge
conflicts on each update).

But completely suppressing updates might be too pessimistic, so I’ll
look into having it update e.g. 3 seconds after last change. I want to
do similar for SCM, where we also suppress updates when TextMate is in
the background, but that does bother me a bit (as I’d prefer to see
the file browser update, as I commit files from the terminal etc.).