[TxMt] Re: Textmate 1.5.11 and OS X 10.11

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Wed May 4 08:54:08 UTC 2016

On May 3, 2016, at 4:31 PM, Josh Bernitt <jjbernitt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not super familiar with the old project drawer, but if you explain it a little I could add that to my development TODOs? Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment.

It is a way to organize files and folders as they appear in the Finder and to also add sort of pseudo-folders that live in only TM. The latter allow an alternate hierarchy within TM. The pseudo-folders can contain other pseudo-folders, real Finder folders, or files. The beauty of it is that you can organize your stuff in a way that makes sense for your programming and writing work without disturbing the organization of the Finder which you might want to organize differently, for other reasons. And TM allows drag-and-drop from the Finder, of course, making this alternate organization truly trivial to do. For example, I have most of my code organized by language in the Finder, but in TM it is more meaningful to have e.g. the original Numerical Recipes Pascal code next to the translated Ada code, as shown in the attached screen shot.

As I explained in my original post, the feature that I am discussing is simply this organization tool, not the underlying project-coding features of TM. I think this has been a point of confusion in some past discussions.

I'll see if this list allows attachments. If so, below is a screen shot of a Project Drawer with a two or three of levels shown in places. The blue folder icons represent Finder folders and the brown ones are pseudo TM folders.

Jerry