[TxMt] Re: Textmate 1.5.11 and OS X 10.11

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Wed May 4 08:34:37 UTC 2016

> On 4 May 2016, at 1:23, Jerry wrote:
>
>> The only solution I see is to laboriously construct a "drawer" folder using aliases. To get the granularity of the Project Drawer, many of these aliases would have to point to individual files. As of OS X 10.9, the average size of an alias is around 5 MB
>
> You can also use symbolic links. In Preferences → Projects you can enable “Show Links as Expandable” which will make symbolic links to folders act similar to regular folders (i.e. inline expansion instead of only being allowed to “follow” the link).

Yes, symlinks are as small as aliases used to be. But brittle. I'll check into this feature in due course.

>> Someone once asked me, in this context, apparently seriously, Why don't you just put all your files in one folder. I don't think that deserves an answer, but if it did, it would go something like this: Like many people, I have files from many projects over the years in a number of languages. I have source trees from open source projects and other people's work that I have downloaded. I have work from Mac-based projects from the 1980s that is still viable and occasionally used. So, no.
>
> But you need all that stuff in a _single_ project? And if so, you need all the files to be at the same hierarchical level?

To your first question: I find the project organizer extremely useful. Not all my code is in it but a ton of it is. I can't predict when I'll need certain stuff so it's super handy to have lots of things at my fingertips, and to be able to switch (personal) projects without any friction. Many files are used in various projects. For example, in my research, I use PLplot to make plots (plplot.org). But I'm a developer for the PLplot project, so I need to access the same files for a different purpose. Ditto for many technical utilities that I have developed over many years. And while I might prefer a certain arrangement of files at the OS level, I frequently find it convenient to have the arranged differently in TM.

To your second question: Not sure I understand. I didn't mean to say that all my files are in one folder, but rather that that would be a bad idea.