[TxMt] Re: Cursor position in bytes

Sun Aug 7 19:29:07 UTC 2016

On 7 Aug 2016, at 21:09, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> […] Is TextMate using the same encoding as the file or an internal
> encoding. Or is that an implementation detail?

Currently it uses UTF-8 internally but I would say it’s an
implementation detail (1.x used UTF-16 for better compatibility with
NSString and friends).

>> IMHO the tool should be updated to output warnings/errors as
>> line:column and not byte offset.
> I can file an enhancement request for the tool and see what they say.

If they won’t support this, we could add support to `mate` but I would
prefer to keep it as an extension of the current `-l/--line` syntax,
e.g. `--line +42` to indicate a byte offset of 42.