[TxMt] UI blocked while running command with “Output: Discard”

Stefan Daschek stefan at daschek.net
Sat Aug 6 21:21:49 UTC 2016

I’m working on a new RuboCop bundle. I want the linting to take place
everytime a Ruby document is saved, with warnings then displayed in the
gutter.

So I implemented a very simple command using
`callback.document.did-save` and `TextMate::Executor.run`, and it works
great so far. However, if I set the command to “Output: Discard”,
TextMate’s UI seems to be blocked (no cursor movement or other editing
possible) while the command is running.

Interestingly this does not happen with “Output: New Window”: In this
case I can continue editing the document even while the command is still
running.

Is this a bug? Or is there are workaround?

(Eventually the bundle will of course also include a command that shows
RuboCop’s output. But I consider this too intrusive to run on every save.)

Stefan