[TxMt] Re: Should be a way to reorder tabs once they overflow the tab bar

Wed Oct 14 12:39:41 UTC 2015

On 14 Oct 2015, at 19:11, Kalcifer Kandari wrote:

> But you can't place that tab in a different position in the menu
> (without great difficulty, because the menu essentially works like a
> stack).

OK, I see what you mean. Though I don’t really agree that this is a
required feature, sorry ;)

For a web browser, you can’t really close tabs to “cleanup” when
your bar overflows, so it makes a little sense to allow users to
organize tabs even when the number of tabs are in the double digits. But
for TextMate, there is really no harm in pruning the tab bar to clean it
up.

I would highly encourage you to look at the Go → Go to File… (⌘T)
action. This makes it very quick to jump to other files, and the main
reason for the tab bar is to allow ⌘1-n as accelerator keys for the
first n tabs (where n is probably no higher than 5).