[TxMt] Re: SCM Status

Wed Oct 14 12:22:43 UTC 2015

On 11 Oct 2015, at 20:45, Robert J. Rockefeller wrote:

> I have the Git bundle enabled along with the SCM bundles, but when I
> click the icon to show SCM status, I get a view with my project at the
> top and (disabled). What have I missed?

There are 3 reasons why SCM status might be disabled:

  1. The project is in the root of the file system or home folder.
  2. The project is on a “non local” disk. This is determined by
asking the system, so some virtual file systems might report themselves
as non-local.
  3. SCM status has been explicitly disabled via .tm_properties.

The reason for #1 is that some users have their home folder under
version control or sometimes accidtanelly do “git init” in root or
~, and asking for “git status” in these folders are very expensive,
because git has to traverse all sub-folders to obtain the status.

The reason for #2 is that most of the distributed version control
systems use content hashes to check if a file has been modified, which
for a non-local file would mean that all the bytes of the project would
have to be downloaded to your machine to obtain the status.

As for #3, this setting exist also to force-enable SCM status. For
example if you are using a virtual file system that is incorrectly
reported as non-local, you can create a .tm_properties setting to enable
SCM status for this file system, for example place it in the root of
your project and let it contain this line:

     scmStatus = enable