[TxMt] Re: Problems building TextMate

Mon Mar 9 11:12:37 UTC 2015

On 9 Mar 2015, at 16:58, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> I'm trying to build latest TextMate in master. Previously I was able
> to build TextMate but not anymore.
>
> First running "./configure" results in this error:
>
> ninja: error: build.ninja:8: loading
> '/Users/jacob/build/TextMate/build.ninja': No such file or directory
> include $builddir/build.ninja
>                           ^ near here
>
> It's a minor error since it works anyway.

Is it reproducible?

You can delete build.ninja from your project folder and run ./configure
to have it re-generated. It does seem like you changed build destination
folder, so it might have been a one-time error related to this switch,
though not sure why.

> Then when running "ninja" I get this error:
>
> $ ninja
> [6/1174] Generate test
> ‘/Users/jacob/build/TextMate/Frameworks/text/test_text.cc’…
> bin/gen_test:14:in `block (2 levels) in <main>': invalid byte sequence
> in US-ASCII

What does running ‘locale’ (in a terminal) return?

If your LC_CTYPE is not set to UTF-8 then try run:

     LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8" ninja

> Adding a magic encoding comment to "bin/gen_test" does not help.

I think the encoding comemnts were only needed for ruby 1.9. I thought
2.0 defaulted to UTF-8, and it does so here, but based on a recent
comment I received, it might actually depend on the user’s locale.

I’m reading the files via Pathname#each_line, there isn’t really any
obvious way to override the default encoding, and going via the IO
interface, I think adding UTF-8 to open() would break 1.8 compatibility.