[TxMt] Re: Block Caret for writers (not only for LaTeX)

Novitzky Peter pnovitzky at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 14:47:01 UTC 2015

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your advice for using the shortcuts. However, they are not really what is desirable here. The issue is not with the movement of the cursor (caret), but with its visibility.

The situation is that I am writing a bigger thesis in LaTeX, sending it for review to various reviewers. On a 2-monitor setting I check the comments on monitor #1, and I do the work on monitor #2. Due to the agreed review process with my reviewers, I often have to switch (⌘+Tab) between TM2 and MS Word windows (accepting comments and track changes).

You can imagine that the comments are here and there in the text, and it is really hard to find the actual location of the cursor on the screen. It is therefore harder to move the cursor with keyboard arrows (not mouse), focus on the actual writing/correcting, instead of searching for the vertical bar cursor.

Is it that hard to introduce this feature as an option to TM2? It was there in TM1. Call it an accessibility request.

Trust me, many LaTeX users (PhD and MSc students, writers, reviewers, etc.) will welcome this feature. I consider TM2 as a professional text editor, and I do not see the reason not having this feature as an option in the software. All the competitor text editors have this feature (at least as a plugin).

I do not have any expertise in coding, anyway I would have  forked the source of TM2 for my needs already. Instead of convincing me that nobody needs this feature can somebody, please, introduce the code to the source of TM2. The silent masses behind TM2 will be extremely grateful. I will be one of them. :-)

Kind regards,

Peter