[TxMt] Re: location of pop-up not under cursor

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Mon Jul 6 15:23:47 UTC 2015

>> Looking more closely, I think the problem is that the tooltip is appearing at the insertion point rather than the cursor, if the insertion point happens to be visible on the screen.
>
> Correct, it prefers the insertion point, as that’s where the action is

What "action"?

Press Shift-Control-Option-H to turn this document into HTML. On my machine, there's a tooltip with additional options; I need to press 1, 2, or 3. I need to _see_ that tooltip in order to _make_ that choice. I don't see it. I don't know where it is. It has gotten tinier, or my screen has gotten bigger, or both. It used to be bold yellow. Now it's white.

And this choice has nothing to do with anything I was doing _at the insertion point_. This change doesn't affect the selection; it affects TextMate.

I could give many other examples where the notion that this feature has anything to do with the insertion point is just wrong.

If there is something to see, the user needs to _see_ it. That is a fundamental law of usability. And this tooltip mechanism is violating it.

I think perhaps the solution is that the tooltip just needs to die. Instead, a GREAT BIG window should pop up in the CENTER of the screen where I can't miss it. Like Xcode when a build succeeds. Like LaunchBar when you do a numeric calculation.

m.