[TxMt] Re: LaTeX bundle wont stop opening TeXShop

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Fri Jan 9 18:40:48 UTC 2015

Sorry I have not been following this thread (since I don't use LaTeX, though some day I'd like to learn it). But I take it that the question has to do with AppleScript causing targeted applications to launch? I wrote a rather well-known book about AppleScript so this is something I know a bit about. This opening is necessary, particularly in the case of certain applications, in order to obtain the application's dictionary. If an AppleScript script uses any terminology from an application, it must be resolved by looking in the application's dictionary. If I remember correctly (which may not be the case - it's been a long time), this is one of the thing the "using terms from" block was supposed to help with:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/AppleScript/Conceptual/AppleScriptLangGuide/reference/ASLR_control_statements.html

The idea is that the developer can compile the script with the relevant terminology without that terminology having to be resolved at runtime. Of course, if the application is actually targeted, then it must be opened, but that's okay because it makes sense to the end-user (the application is actually _doing_ something).

Hope this helps; the new "use" block may also be helpful here, but I have not tried it - it's after my time... m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 8! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920034261.do