[TxMt] Re: Bug in enclose selection with multi-key characters using US-International keyboard layout

Etienne Samson samson.etienne at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 08:46:36 UTC 2014

> On 17 Sep 2014, at 13:11, Eduardo Francos wrote:
>
>> When using the US-International keyboard layout, if you want to enclose selected text with quotes, single quotes or back-quotes by typing them, the originally selected text is deleted.
>
> I have both the ISO and ANSI US/international keyboard, and I can type all of the following quotes without using dead keys: ‘…’, “…”, "…", '…', and `…`.

I can confirm that this also happens with the standard French layout with the ` backtick, the selected text just disappear. As the OP says, not a really harmful, significant bug, I just want to confirm that there's an issue.

>> A really insignificant bug, I know :p and I can certainly live with it, so this is mostly for information. It's good to know someone knows it's there :-)
>
> I fear it would be rather complex to do a workaround for this because we would need to delay overtyping a selection when we detect the user starts a complex input sequence, and for most users I imagine this would be undesired (not seeing the selection immediately overtyped).

A quick fix (IMHO, I'm no expert on the text system) would be to make dead keys be handled as normal keys as soon as you have something selected — the rationale being that if you're actually trying to overtype a missed accent, you wouldn't rewrite a whole bunch of stuff. But there be dragons ;-).

Regards,
Etienne Samson
samson.etienne at gmail.com