[TxMt] Re: Any solutions for file notifications on remote fs?

Tue Sep 9 03:59:18 UTC 2014

On 9 Sep 2014, at 1:45, Carpii UK wrote:

> This is because I work on a a remote filesystem (Centos), which is
> mounted
> via AFP.
> Its actually a VM running on ESXI Server on my LAN, although a Vagrant
> or
> VMWare setup is quite common now.

The typical Vagrant setup will mount your Mac (project) folder in the
virtual machine.

This means on the Mac it’s a 100% local file system with all the
advantages that this brings, yet the files are still instantly
accessible from the virtual machine.

> […] A bit of googling shows there is libkqueue, which tries to
> provide a kqueue
> interface on top of the underlying host OS, but its not clear to me
> whether
> this would be suitable for a remote fs

Either the remote machine will inform the client about file systme
changes (mounting a Mac via AFP does support this) or alternatively the
client will have to poll the remote server to test if there are changes
(as would be required in your case). I would be surprised if libkqueue
includes code to do regular polling.

> Has anyone found a workaround to this please?

As indicated above, a workaround is to have the virtual machine mount a
folder from your Mac.