[TxMt] Re: DIALOG2 x-insert bug on MacOSX 10.7

Mon Oct 20 11:41:24 UTC 2014

On 20 Oct 2014, at 12:38, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:

> I'm just testing my new bundle on MacOSX 10.7.5 with TM 2.0-beta-1.
> I'm using for completion the DIALOG2 command x-insert, but after
> execution TM crashes with this:
> […]
> objc_msgSend() selector name: retain
> objc[1241]: garbage collection is OFF
>
> Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
> 0   libobjc.A.dylib               	0x00007fff864f7e90 objc_msgSend +
> 16
> 1   com.macromates.dialog2        	0x000000011182d52b
> insert_snippet(NSString*) + 254

If I symbolicate the report then it points to this line
https://github.com/textmate/dialog/blob/master/Commands/Utilities/TextMate.mm#L103

> On MacOSX 10.9.5 it works perfectly.
>
> Any hints?

This is most likely related to ARC on 10.7, the Dialog plug-in was
updated to ARC last month:
https://github.com/textmate/dialog/commit/fff3e32087524c020c774942f63ef0b16b5e2e7c

Do you have a build environment on 10.7? If so, it would be nice if you
could insert an NSLog with all the objects involved in that line and see
if anything pops out, and if the log statements are shown, i.e. that it
actually is this line causing the crash.

ARC would cause objects involved in that line to be retained (I think),
but that should also be safe, unless some of the objects are not
actually objects, but I don’t see anything wrong there.

I don’t have 10.7 available myself.