[TxMt] Re: Auto Save and Versions

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 17 15:08:05 UTC 2014

On 16-10-2014, at 17:03, Igor K <me at igorkozlov.me> wrote:

> OS X has support for auto save and reverting to older file versions since Lion.
>
> Are there any plans to support this in TextMate?
>
> Is it hard to implement or there’s some other reason why it’s not supported?
> Maybe it’s just not on the priority list?

I regard Apple’s “versions” as quite useless.

Version control a la Mercurial, Git, svn is much te be preferred.
Especially if you have a project that consists of several separate files.
Apple will treat each file separately so versions of different files can easily be unsynchronised.

In addition Apple versions do not show highlighted differences between a current version and a previous version in the way that e.g. Changes, BBEdit and others do (for text files).

I much prefer proper version control (I mainly use Mercurial).

BTW: I’m not starting a flame war.

Berend