[TxMt] Re: Discussion: TextMate.save_if_untitled and TextMate::Executor.run -> version

Tue Oct 7 15:48:49 UTC 2014

On 29 Sep 2014, at 18:07, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:

> […] In order to use TextMate::Executor one should execute
> "TextMate.save_if_untitled('foo')" in beforehand. But I'd like to
> allow to the user that s/he runs either the entire document or only a
> selection […]

I don’t understand your proposed semantics as we go from two to four
cases:

  1. Document is untitled, we have a selection
  2. Document is untitled, no selection
  3. Document has filename, we have a selection
  4. Document has filename, no selection

For example for #3, would you change TM_FILENAME to a temporary file and
then save selection to this temporary file? If so, I think this is
better handled by your command, e.g.:

     if ENV.has_key?('TM_SELECTION')
       # setup temporary TM_FILENAME and save selection
     else
       TextMate.save_if_untitled
     end

> 2) TextMate::Executor.run -> version
>
> […] I believe one could solve this kind of problem quite easily,
> namely if the developer sets explicitly ":version_args => nil" the
> version querying won't be executed. To achieve that one has to change
> one single line:
>
> executor.rb line: 99
>
>      version = (not options[:version_args].nil?) ?
> parse_version(args[0], options) : ''

This makes sense, and I’ve run into this myself (inability to disable
the version check for “interpreters” where it didn’t really make
sense).

Will you submit a PR for this? If so, I’d suggest avoiding the
“not” operator.