[TxMt] Re: find in project window not responding

Fri Nov 21 09:46:20 UTC 2014

On 21 Nov 2014, at 10:02, Carpii UK wrote:

> Typing into the textbox does not update the display, however the
> characters are being stored, since when you click the Find button,
> suddenly all the text you typed appears in the textbox.  Its a stange
> bug

With Cocoa, the text field itself is not responsible for managing the
editing. Instead it calls upon a field editor which is shared between
all text fields in the window, and this control takes care of editing
(this is a legacy design from NeXT presumably motivated by keeping
memory usage low).

The bug could be that the field editor either does not appear (maybe it
gets a null frame or is positioned outside the window). That would
explain majority of the symptoms.

Of course all this is internal stuff not something TextMate has anything
to do with and I have seen this bug for a very long time, and am
clueless as to what I could have done to cause it, though it started
after switching to auto-layout *and* I have seen it also for the much
simpler “Filter Through Command” window, adding to that, we got a
lot of similiar issues reported about the incremental search text field,
but only from 10.7 users, and also after switching to auto-layout.

So I am leaning toward this being an issue caused by auto-layout and the
chance of creating a workaround is small.

But it is very interesting that during the last few days, I also seem to
have seen this bug a lot, where before, it was a rare occurrence.

It would be interesting to know if anyone is seeing it on 10.10.