[TxMt] Re: Different tabs behaviour

Adam Štěpánek stepanek.adam at gmail.com
Sat May 10 20:36:30 UTC 2014

But why do you need to think about closing and managing tabs if you don’t need them open in the first place? I always thought that if you’re working in a text editor like this with the tree browser, the purpose of the tab bar is to keep there your favourite files for the session. And it certainly doesn’t imply that every file you open is your “favourite”. Why to keep them both in the tab bar and in the file browser?

I hope you agree with me that the more tabs you have, the more confusing the orientation is and once you exceed a certain limit (probably different for each of us), the time you need to locate the file in there is actually greater than to navigate the file in the file browser. It gets even worse if you work with files with the same names in different subfolders because they appear the same in the tab bar.

These are my arguments why I would really love to see this incorporated in the TextMate preferences. Please, whoever responsible for development is reading this (if anyone), make TextMate even better editor than it is now by including this feature!

- Adam

On 9 May 2014 at 17:30:40, Matt Neuburg (matt at tidbits.com) wrote:

> If you're working on a large project where you actually edit only
> several files at the time but you need to peek into other files from
> time to time as well (usually as a one-time look), the tab bar gets full
> very quickly and it's almost impossible to find there the file you're
> looking for.

Well, I do lot of File > Close All Tabs, Close Other Tabs, and Close Tabs to the Right. And I like it that way; I would rather manage my tabs myself.

I haven't figured out why certain tabs are always open whenever I open my project, no matter how much I close them - but that's a different question!

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 7! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920031017.do