[TxMt] Uppercasing swallows characters

Andreas U Schmidhauser au at schmidhauser.us
Tue Jun 17 09:20:30 UTC 2014

Hello

In certain situations, TextMate (on my machine at any rate) deletes one or more characters at the end of a selected text if one uppercases that text. This happens e.g. with certain glyphs and also with certain ‘diacritics’ such as the Greek iota subscript.

Three illustrations:

(i) außer
AUSSE

(ii) ϲκοπῇϲ
ϹΚΟΠΗ͂ (i.e., back in lower case, ϲκοπῆ)

(iii) ὅταν τι τῶν ἐμῶν δι᾽ ἐρωτήϲεωϲ ϲκοπῇϲ, ἐὰν μὲν ὁ ἐρωτηθεὶϲ οἷάπερ ἂν ἐγὼ ἀποκριναίμην ἀποκρινάμενοϲ ϲφάλληται, ἐγὼ ἐλέγχομαι, εἰ δὲ ἀλλοῖα, αὐτὸϲ ὁ ἐρωτηθείϲ.
ὍΤΑΝ ΤΙ ΤΩ͂Ν ἘΜΩ͂Ν ΔΙ᾽ ἘΡΩΤΉϹΕΩϹ ϹΚΟΠΗ͂ΙϹ, ἘᾺΝ ΜῈΝ Ὁ ἘΡΩΤΗΘΕῚϹ ΟἿΆΠΕΡ ἊΝ ἘΓῺ ἈΠΟΚΡΙΝΑΊΜΗΝ ἈΠΟΚΡΙΝΆΜΕΝΟϹ ϹΦΆΛΛΗΤΑΙ, ἘΓῺ ἘΛΈΓΧΟΜΑΙ, ΕἸ ΔῈ ἈΛΛΟΙ͂Α, ΑΥ̓ΤῸϹ Ὁ ἘΡΩΤ
(i.e. in lower case: ὅταν τι τῶν ἐμῶν δι᾽ ἐρωτήϲεωϲ ϲκοπῆιϲ, ἐὰν μὲν ὁ ἐρωτηθεὶϲ οἷάπερ ἂν ἐγὼ ἀποκριναίμην ἀποκρινάμενοϲ ϲφάλληται, ἐγὼ ἐλέγχομαι, εἰ δὲ ἀλλοῖα, αὐτὸϲ ὁ ἐρωτ)

Other apps such as TextEdit show the expected behaviour i.e. nothing is deleted.

My current workaround is to select a number of additional empty lines following the text selected, so that the deletions apply to that part only.

Encoding (in Preferences) is UTF-8.

Anyone any ideas?

Best,
Andreas