[TxMt] Re: Why does TextMate need an Avian and a TextMate folder in Library/Application Support

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Wed Jan 8 00:50:22 UTC 2014

On Jan 7, 2014, at 3:16 PM, Michael Sheets <mummer at whitefalls.org> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2014, at 3:40 AM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
>
>> TextMate 1 and 2 uses different directories in Application Support to be able to co-exist.
>
> This is correct and it’s just a temporary solution, during the alpha we wanted to make sure you could run 1.x and 2.0 side-by-side. So 2.0 will store items that didn’t exist in 1.x in their final places within the TextMate folder while temporarily storing 2.0 items in the Avian folder to avoid conflicts. As we move closer to a final release we’ll move everything back to TextMate and get rid of the Avian directory.

But that's the wrong answer. They need to continue to avoid conflicts. For example, the third-party AsciiDoc bundle is very broken under TextMate 2. I don't know why and I don't have much time (or ability) to figure it out. My solution is to run TextMate 1. But I sometimes look at the files under TextMate 2 and try to tweak a different copy of the bundle, to fix it. I need those changes not to affect the bundle used under TextMate 1. If the distinction between the TextMate 1 bundle and the TextMate 2 bundle suddenly goes away, that will be a disaster.

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 7! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920031017.do