[TxMt] Re: error trying to build TextMate from source

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Thu Feb 13 19:28:29 UTC 2014

Answer: Yes! I was able to fix this problem in the following manner:

* Step 0. In Xcode (such as 5.1 beta), open Preferences, switch to Location pane, change Command Line Tools pop-up to Xcode 5.0.2. You will need to authenticate.

* Step 1. There is no Step 1! Just configure and ninja. You will now succeed. :)

It appears that clang has caused major breakage in Xcode 5.1 by turning things that used to be ignored or mere warnings into failures. I have had other problems related to this. See also, for example:

   http://clang-developers.42468.n3.nabble.com/error-unknown-argument-ffoo-gt-reason-td4037260.html

This is awesome. I built TextMate, and yet my computer did not explode. (Sure got hot though.)

One word of advice: Do NOT believe the github ReadMe when it says that you can omit installing hg (Mercurial). The build will fail and you cannot get past that point. Install hg when you do your various installs, and all will be well.

m.