[TxMt] Re: Find/Replace Dialog in Full Screen Mode

Sun Feb 9 15:47:55 UTC 2014

On 6 Feb 2014, at 18:30, Robert Milton wrote:

> Sorry, Curt is right…I missed out a detail I didn’t realise was
> relevant.
> Before opening TextMate, assign it to This Desktop (ctrl-click
> TextMate on the dock, Options->This Desktop).
> Following my original email then consistently produces the odd
> behaviour for me.

Based on Matt’s instructions, I have now been able to try this.
However, I see a different behavior.

When I create an additional desktop, lock TM to one of them, go full
screen, and press ⌘F (with no Find window showing in any space) I am
brought back to the desktop that I have locked TM to, and the Find
window is shown on that desktop.

If the Find window is already showing, ⌘F will move it to my active
desktop.

It seems like an edge-case that Apple mishandles. I.e. when a window is
full screen, auxiliary windows should ignore that the app has been
locked to a desktop (and should instead show on the desktop with the
full screen primary window).

> Out of curiosity I tried exactly the same things with Pages…which
> always behaves as you would expect (no invisible documents).

You can create regular windows, panels, floating (utility) windows,
etc., and in addition, you can set some explicit “window collection
behavior” like NSWindowCollectionBehaviorMoveToActiveSpace — all of
this is taken into consideration when the OS decides how to “manage”
the windows, so Pages might use a window where TM uses a panel, or it
might set some semi-abstract collection behavior flag.

To my knowledge, nowhere does Apple document what the expected behavior
should be for the various window types and collection behavior flags,
wrt. multiple desktops behavior.