[TxMt] Re: grammar feature request: true begin-while

Fri Feb 7 01:48:42 UTC 2014

On 7 Feb 2014, at 2:08, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> I can't believe this would be expensive

It would add complexity to the parser, its API, and it would affect its
run-time.

> and it would solve a LOT of Asciidoc grammar problems, where there are
> many multi-line patterns such as this one.

I have considered allowing \n in regular expressions to match multiple
lines. I did this for the firstLineMatch pattern (which can match
multiple leading lines, if \n is part of its regexp).

Though it is no simple change and it would affect the run-time, but
ideally TM would know when such patterns were involved, and thus the
penalty would be insignificant for grammars that do not use such
patterns.

The lack of setext header support is definitely a thorn in my eye.